Tuesday 26 April 2011

BBC News - London 2012: Olympics tickets website 'crashes'

BBC News - London 2012: Olympics tickets website 'crashes'
Ok, I left it late to buy tickets for the Olympics. This was due mainly to the cost. However, at 9 pm I started to select and buy some tickets. I wanted gymnastics ones, maybe some diving too. And after a bit of umming and ahhing at the price I put in for a couple of tickets for the opening ceremony too. Everything seemed to go slowly until I started to pay.

I can never remember my passwords for these things. It's not the cards so much as the other checks - some of them want numbers and letters. Some even ask for punctuation. 2 or 3 months ago I had asked myself a cryptic question, the answer to which would put my card through the system. But I had no idea what it was. I have nearly learnt my mobile phone number - after about 3 years. I'm still not quite sure and have to look it up to check. Anyway, I went through the process and discovered my secret answer - I have to admit it was damn clever! But that's all I can say!

I then tried to resume my purchase but ... the site crashed. Great! It was 9.35 There then followed about 2 and a half hours of trying to log in again. Sadly, I had no knowledge of my password, having skipped that step with an activation email, so I had to go back to square 1. For a while there was nothing, but then the website started to acknowledge my existence and seemed to put me in a queue. I waited, and waited. Then I decided to check my emails. But this had the effect of closing down my application. So I had to start yet again. I learnt from my mistake and kept the site on screen - but nothing. An hour, hour and a half; two hours passed - no joy.

Then at about 11.50 the site let me on. More than that it took me to the checkout where my basket of sporting goodies from earlier awaited me. This time I had my secret codes written down so I wasn't caught out and this time it all went through. Yeahhhh!
Whether I will be able to afford the tickets if I get them is another matter. But at least I feel I've done my best. Hopefully, I'm on my way to the 2012 Olympic Games. Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment