Wednesday 15 February 2012

love letter to Kalkan

My dear Kalkan,
How I miss you!  As these winter nights draw in I find myself sitting huddled round my computer, gazing into the screen searching for those long lost evenings of spectacular sunsets, dreamy dinners and so much laughter.  Laughter: yes, I miss that so much.
I remember that first night of ours.  Pitch black,  almost silent; and we were lost.  Even D had finally accepted that the sat nav was barking mad after it had taken us off on little detours into the wilds of Turkey on our night journey.  I would have been unbearably smug about the superiority of a map in these circumstances - had I not left the map on the table at home, with the torch... and the mobile phone.
So we relied on memories of google earth.  I'd zoomed in curiously on the Meltem Apartments in Kalamar Bay many, many times and noticed the swimming pool - on 3 levels, with a waterfall link.  It looked fantastic - and unique.  Therefore I got out of the car and walked in front, peering over walls trying to spot the pool.  Several times we passed packs of dogs, hanging out on street corners - they totally ignored us, (we were travelling very slowly after all) but there was no sign of our holiday home. 
Until we came to the steep hill.  This was the understatement of the year.  When hills were mentioned in Kalkan info we thought nothing of it.  We live on a hill.  We used to live on the steepest hill in Brighton - and we survived.  No hills r us and we can take them.  But this was more like a black run down the Matterhorn. We came upon it, started to descend and then swerved off swiftly onto a side road as it appeared we were on the brink of tumbling down into an unseen abyss.
And luckily this was where our holiday home was!  And what a dream of a place it was - and still is.  A little piece of heaven.   
The next day we discovered that the hill (still steep but not quite so daunting) led down to the Mediterranean sea, that deepasforever, crystal clear sea that spent the next few weeks enticing us in and making us welcome.
We also discovered lots more about you Kalkan.  Fantastic wonderful things that I'll remind you of when I write again.  But for now
Kendine iyi bak
x

No comments:

Post a Comment